Monday 18 October 2010

From online blogging to TV winning

My immense passion for food and wanting to share that passion for food with others led me to blog on food websites about my dishes and recipes, I used blogging as a way of leaving my take on food so that others can enjoy it and leave my mark on authentic and modern fusions of food.

My blogs didn’t go unnoticed and not long after I was asked by ITV to audition for their highly rated cooking program Britain's best dish 2010. Although I always take pride in my cooking I knew I had to come up with a dish that wowed the judges and take me to the grand final. Read on to see how I eventually won the show.

The winning dish was....

Seared masala cannon of spring lamb
topped with a coriander, lemon and rosewater foam sat on a fresh mint infused pea and chilli puree.
Served with a Indian sweet onion chutney, lemon, butter and nutmeg spinach base topped with an oven roasted Bombay potato and a shot of fresh cucumber, lemon, garlic, mint and mango raita.




The thought process behind the dish


After getting the call from ITV asking me to audition I knew that I wanted to make my dish special. I already knew that I would try and use locally sourced ingredient's and that I wanted to use a spring lamb.I decided that although the lamb and veg would be locally sourced to really bring out the flavor's I would use my experience of spices from around the world to compliment my lamb. Well curry is the nations favourite dish afterall!

Next it was deciding which spices I would use and after much trail and error and carefully chosen spices that I had shipped from Asia I got to work creating my signature dish.

Living in Leeds where curry is a favorite dish and from my experience of travelling round Asia I decided that I would make a curry dish with a modern twist.

I knew that by adding a fluffy Bombay potato and carefully chosen veg that my dish would cater for all palates.I decided to use the rose water foam as way of not only adding an a la carte feel to my dish but also to moisten the lamb and the lemon would cut through the spices on the pallete.

It was only after this that the much commented on chutney was created and it was not only turned out to accompany the dish perfectly but was the star of a great endorsement.

My winning dish was then complete.


The TV show

Arriving at the studio I was very nervous , however I had no doubt that my dish would go down well and I was hopeful that I would get through.

After being informed that I had made it through to the live shows I was ecstatic that I had got through and then realized that I was in with a chance of winning the show.

The first live show I was nervous but I cooked my dish to perfection and the judges praised my dish with amazing comments. I was now through to the regional final.

Winning the regional final was a shock but by that time I knew the dish had won that round.

After having a master class with celebrity chefs John Burton Race and Ed Baines, I decided to add an accompaniment to the dish at the request of the judges, this was done in the form of a raita and used mango and cucumbers to cool down the intense flavor's of the dish.

I then went on to not only win the regional final but also the grand final and here I am now, proudly showing of the dish that was deemed amazing and first class top quality food on all shows and following my dream.

It just goes to show that all this food blogging doesnt go un-noticed and its my dreams come true. It can for you too.
 
What have i done sinse the show?
 
Things have been crazy since winning the show. Ive been able to follow my dream and make food my future. Ive been booked to do event chef work for very large companies, ive also been booked for private chef work and i have been trying to get my chutneys and sauces in the supermarkets. If that isnt enough i am taking Ukookit, which is where all the passion is to make amazing food national. Unfortunatly we are not trading at the moment while all these changes are going on but keep checking out http://www.ukookit.co.uk/ for when we are back up and running.
 
 Britain's best dish 2010 winning recipe
 
So heres the recipe for you to try your self. Its a very complex dish but worth the effort. I promise all my other food blogs wont be this difficult.
 
For the Kashmiri garam masala
1.5 tbsp fennel seeds
1.5 tbsp caraway seeds
2 small bay leaves
1 tbsp coriander seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tbsp black cardamom seeds
¼ tsp green cardamom seeds
2.5” cinnamon stick
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 large blade of mace
1 star anise
1 tsp grated nutmeg
 
For the maslal lamb marinade
(serves 2)
1 tsp garam masala (see above recipe)
½ tsp kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1 2” cinnamon stick
1 clove
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp saffron
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic purée
2 tsp ginger purée
25ml virgin olive oil
2 tbsp natural yogurt
Juice of 1 lemon
1 best end of lamb
 
For the sweet onion chutney
1 large red onion
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1 dried Kashmiri chilli, finely chopped
½ tsp black pepper
3 large, ripe vine tomatoes
1 tsp garlic purée
1 tsp ginger purée
1 tbsp tomato paste
1½ tsp fresh palm sugar
Small bunch of fresh Indian coriander
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For the Bombay potatoes
1 very large baking potato
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp sea salt flakes
1 2” cinnamon stick
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp smoked paprika
25ml olive oil
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
For the coriander, lemon & rose water foam
Handful of Indian coriander
2 tsp rose water
250ml boiling water
Zest & juice of 1 lemon
½ tsp of lecithin powder
 
For the pea & mint puree
300g frozen peas
200ml fresh chicken stock
Big bunch of mint
4 knobs butter, 2 for frying, 2 for blitzing
Pinch of cumin
1 small green birdseye chilli, roughly chopped
Salt and ground white pepper
 
For the raita
Thumb length of cucumber
½ clove garlic
4 sprigs of mint
2 tbsp thick Greek yoghurt
Pinch of garam masala
½ mango, cut into small cubes
Squeeze of lemon juice
 
For the spinach
Handful of spinach
Knob of butter
2 tsp lemon juice
Pinch of nutmeg

 

Preparation

For the Kashmiri garam masala
  1. Lightly dry fry all of the ingredients (excluding the nutmeg) until aromatic and set aside to cool. 
  2. Once cool, add the nutmeg and grind into a fine powder using a spice grinder.

For the marinade
  1. In the spice grinder, blend together the garam masala, the Kashmiri chilli powder, the coriander seeds, the black pepper, the sea salt flakes, the cinnamon stick, the clove, the green cardamom pods, the saffron and the smoked paprika then add the garlic and the ginger purée.  
  2. Mix well to form a paste and add the oil and the natural yogurt. Mix further until all the ingredients are fully combined.   
  3. Cut the lamb into chunky pieces.
  4. Add the lamb to the marinade, ensuring it is fully coated in the paste and leave it to marinate in the fridge for 24 hours. 
  5. After 24 hours, stir in the lemon juice and leave for a further 30 minutes.

For the sweet onion chutney
  1. Slice the red onion into strips and fry on a medium heat with the cumin seeds, the sea salt, the Kashmiri chilli and the black pepper until the onions have softened.  
  2. Blend the tomatoes together in a food processor and add them to the onions along with the garlic and ginger purées.   
  3. Simmer the mixture for 4 minutes, then add the tomato paste and the palm sugar and simmer for a further 2 minutes. 
  4. Remove from the heat and add the coriander leaves, then place in the fridge until completely chilled.

For the Bombay potatoes
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. 
  2. Using a 2½“ chef’s ring, cut a cylinder out of the potato, discarding any excess. Blanch it in simmering water for 3 minutes.   
  3. In the spice grinder, blend the garam masala, the Kashmiri chilli powder, the coriander seeds, the black pepper, the salt flakes, the cinnamon stick, the cardamom pods and the smoked paprika into a powder. Add 25ml of olive oil and mix to a paste.
  4. Spread the paste over the entire surface area of the potato, place it on a roasting tray and cook it in the oven for 45 minutes, turning half way through.  
  5. Once cooked, remove the potato from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.

For the lamb
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat until it starts to bubble. Add the lamb to the pan and sear off for 3 minutes, ensuring each side has contact with the pan.  
  2. Transfer the lamb to a baking tray and roast for 7 minutes.
  3. Let the lamb rest for 5 minutes before serving.

For the coriander, lemon & rose water foam
  1. In a food processor, blend together the coriander, the rose water, the boiling water, the lemon zest and juice. When blended, leave to cool for 3 minutes. 
  2. Once cooled, add the lecithin powder to the mixture and blend again until the mixture is frothy. Leave for 3 minutes till all the mixture has settled, leaving the infused froth on top.

For the pea and mint purée
  1. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, pour in the peas, stir and bring the water back to the boil. Cook the peas for 3 minutes to soften then strain them. 
  2. In a separate pan, reduce the chicken stock down to a syrup. 
  3. Bring the syrup to a boil then add in the mint, including the stalks.  
  4. Take the pan off the heat and allow the mint flavour to infuse in the stock for about 5 minutes before removing the mint. 
  5. Heat the first ½ of butter in a frying pan over a high heat, add the peas and the cumin and shake the pan from the handle. 
  6. Season the peas with pepper and transfer the mixture to a food processor. Add the chilli and a little of the infused stock and blitz to break down the peas.  
  7. Add more stock to get a nice smooth purée and, while blitzing, add the remaining butter.  
  8. Pass through a fine sieve into a fresh pan, adjust the seasoning to taste and warm through.

For the raita
  1. Peel the cucumber, then slice it in half lengthways and remove the seeds. 
  2. Lay the cucumber onto a tray and sprinkle with salt. Leave it to rest for 10 minutes then wash off the salt and dry it with kitchen towel. 
  3. Finely dice the cucumber and combine it with the chopped garlic in a bowl. 
  4. Slice the tops off the mint sprigs, roll them up and shred them finely before adding them to the cucumber. 
  5. Stir through the yoghurt, the garam masala, the mango and a squeeze of lemon juice.

For the spinach
  1. Wilt the spinach down in a pan with the butter and the lemon juice, then press all the water out with kitchen paper.

To serve
  1. Place the Bombay potato on a pre oiled baking tray and place in the oven to reheat for a few minutes. Place the potato on the plate and balance the lamb, sliced into 2, on top of it. Spoon some of the coriander foam over the lamb. 
  2. Place a good spoonful of the chutney on the plate adjacent to the lamb and the potato. 
  3. Press the spinach into a chef’s ring next to the chutney and remove the ring. Sprinkle with a little ground nutmeg. 
  4. Serve the raita in a shot glass at the centre of the plate.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jonathon! Your food looks absolutely amazing and I enjoyed reading the process behind creating it. Look forward to seeing more of your dishes in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joey. That's very kind of you.

    Make sure to follow me and more recipes will be coming very soon.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete